Sunday, January 30, 2005

Give them something to talk about

So I'm just home from church and again no comments on the blog. I suppose I shouldn't have expected any in a mere 29 hours (give or take). Of course, one always feels that the minute you put something out there the masses will rush to admire and interact with it. That's the whole impulse which drives this blog thing, isn't it? Or maybe I have that wrong - or I've generalized something quite particular?

At church today we read an amazing passage. Of course, I found the text to it on someone else's blog :

To Worship

To worship is to stand in awe under a heaven of stars,
before a flower, a leaf in sunlight, or a grain of sand.

To worship is to be silent, receptive,
before a tree astir with the wind,
or the passing shadow of a cloud.

To worship is to work with dedication and with skill;
it is to pause from work and listen to a strain of music.

To worship is to sing with the singing beauty of the earth,
it is to listen through a storm to the still small voice within.

Worship is a loneliness seeking communion;
it is a thirsty land crying out for rain.

Worship is kindred fire within our hearts;
it moves through deeds of kindness and through acts of love.

Worship is the mystery within us reaching out to the mystery beyond. This is

It is an inarticulate silence yearning to speak;
it is the window of the moment open to the sky of the eternal.

--Jacob Trapp (#441 in Singing in the Living Tradition)

This is the whole reason I do this Unitarian thing. It draws on this simple wonderment I want to be sure my children have a source to learn about. I know that if I just try and teach this to them in my own way, I'll end up forcing them into my view as much as I was forced into the priests' views as a kid. This simple expression of the feeling when you get when you stare deeply into the face of the universe is the kind of thing I want my kids to hear - and to hear from someone other than me. I want them to be able to think it over and, if they want, talk to me about it.

Parents are supposed to teach their kids, for sure. But where are the limits? I feel they are very tight. I feel that much need to be learned from the community at large. Many folks leave this to TV these days. I didn't want that. I wanted them to have a chance to see and hear what people think - what many other people think. In fact, as many other people as possible. Is that shirking? Is that right? Is that something else all together?

No comments: